In the Mutara Nebula and Invisible?
Dear Juliet
Thinking about today's blog, I came across the fact that children of narcissists think they're invisible (and, I guess, worthless) when they're not performing. That they're only of any value when they're up there on stage earning their crust.
Well, I don't agree with that. Except for a few utter lowlifes I won't go into, everyone has innate worth and value.
It may be a statement of the obvious, but you are innately valuable.
I've always enjoyed worrying about you, trying to work out what makes you tick, and deciding what Christmas and birthday presents to give you.
Despite the wet feet, I really enjoyed getting you that statuette.
In fact, let's review a few crucial phrases from Dear Miss Landau:
"Crucial meetings in the NAS briefing room came and went as the clock ticked down to zero hour. There was a strange contrast between being personally fond of someone with whom I was corresponding in private and professionally dispassionate about her in public as a celebrity and focus for the trip. ... Oddly enough, although I was able to compartmentalise my personal feelings and professional detachment about Juliet Landau, and although it probably made me better able to cope with the unique strain of knowing a celebrity, I didn’t particularly enjoy the process.
She was a human being, not a project or a target, and I liked her."
"I’d known the girl next door, and what a selfish little
shrew she’d turned out to be.
The Hollywood star, on the other hand, was coming across as
kind, sweet, sensible and shy.
You really couldn’t make it up."
"I turned back to Juliet the Notebook, painstakingly made my
brain work out when I should expect to arrive in LA. Go for Albuquerque and Las Vegas, I thought. Forget the Grand Canyon – Juliet’s worth more than a hole in the
ground – and book one night in Albuquerque, two in Vegas and five in LA.
I brought out my credit card, prayed it wouldn’t be
cancelled, and accessed the appropriate websites..."
And because a private pleb/celeb correspondence is so rare, please be assured that I was a complete pleb at the time while you were a celebrity; and that I was getting to like you for yourself, not your public image.
I did steal the Enterprise for you, and (metaphorically speaking) took her into the Mutara Nebula.
And later, you could say I carried your katra and got you fal-tor-panned. You know, I don't think you can deny that I saw you clearly by then!
I did this all for the person I saw and knew, not the performer. With deepest love for her heart and soul.
As Kirk said:
"What I have done, I had to do. If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul."
You were always worth it, and you certainly weren't invisible!
Love,
James


Comments
Post a Comment