Little Nell and the Old Curiosity Shop......

Dear Juliet

Okay, I'm not quite sure what to say today so let's start with one gentle comment:

I think I understand your situation.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

Okay then, take a deep breath, calm down, relax.

It would be nice to see you in Shifnal. I think somebody up there likes you, and tried to at least place you nearby twice this decade.

I don't know, third time lucky?

Charles Dickens lodged here, too. Well, not with me but in nearby Albrighton, I believe. Shifnal itself may have featured in The Old Curiosity Shop and the fictional grave of Little Nell is in the churchyard of St Bartholomew's, Tong, which is nicknamed the Westminster Abbey of the Midlands.

Birmingham is nearby and we're about 150 miles or two hours by train from London. That's if the trains work, which they usually don't.

The population's about 11,000, many rather elderly, and the church really acts as the social and community centre.

Yes, it does get cold and wet but I've got electric radiators.

It seems you can legally drive over here without bureaucratic hurdles, but you'd almost certainly find driving on the left with manual transmission very difficult...

I'd better wrap it up tonight as it's getting late, and I don't want you to think I've forgotten about you.

Love,

James







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to the Yellow Brick Road?

Buffy the Infantry Officer...

Of All the Gin Joints in All the Towns in All the World... (part one)