Thelma and Louise at Lobos...
Dear Juliet
I'd had a serious and supportive thought for the start of this one, then several other things impinged (looks like you looked at five blogs of mine about Point Lobos last night?) and I had a Thelma & Louise moment, perhaps mixed with Galaxy Quest...
Well, it all works off the supportive thought, which is this:
As I understand it, children of narcissists often think they need someone's permission to do stuff.
No you don't.
You're free.
I think I'll just repeat that.
You. Are. Free.
Obviously, don't go all Thelma and Louise. There are laws and social norms. But you are absolutely free to pursue life, liberty and happiness.
Like, really.
I'd just been thinking about the Carmel River Inn myself. Seems like they've also got a Morning Joy Café these days and there's a Safeway across the road. Monastery's nearby. You also seem to get really good rates if you stay Sunday to Thursday.
And that's the thing. If you just want to take a few days off, say something like:
"Hey honeybun, I'm feeling very Californian today. I just wanna take a few days off and go somewhere and, like, find myself and meditate and stuff."
All you have to do is get on Highway 101. You have the perfect right to do so.
Couple of other thoughts:
Did I ever tell you you were really funny? I always liked that. It's not just girls who go for a GSOH. It's a pity some bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Hollywood scriptwriter couldn't do a Thelma & Louise/Odd Couple-style road movie screenplay for you. Parker Posey might be a good choice for the other lead character...
Also, years ago, I privately wondered what it would have been like if you'd tagged along with a camera on one of my other treks (2012, 2013, 2016). There would have been a lot of long waits at railway stations and wide open spaces, but I did wonder for a short while...
And on a passing note, I remember you talking about receiving the Galaxy Quest screenplay and not getting the point of it at that convention in London, 2012. I never thought of an exact analogy, but both Quest and Dear Miss Landau deal with reality impinging on fiction. Tim Allen/Jason Nesmith actually has to command an actual starship, I got a vampire flatmate...
Like Quest, Landau has (I'd say) the perfect and unexpected combination of fiction and reality.
A bit like Gibson beach.
Okay, I think that's enough ideas for the moment.
Why don't you take a few days off? You are free to do so.
Love,
James



Comments
Post a Comment