7,000 RPM...
Dear Juliet
"There's a point at 7,000 RPM where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless, just disappears. All that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming, creeping up, closing in on your ear. It asks you the only question that matters: who are you?"
(Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby)
As you've probably guessed, I'm pretty chuffed with you. Didn't want to make too big a thing about it but I had a couple of analogies to hand when I got up from my seat. But then I happened to catch the ending of a movie I like. Le Mans '66, sometimes called Ford v Ferrari. On the face of it, it might not sound like your favourite kind of film, but it's more a character study than a jokefest about boys and their big engines. It's worth a look.
Anyway, I caught that last quote and it seemed to be suitable. Perhaps that someone balancing on a razor's edge can finally reach that moment where everything fades and they finally, ever so gingerly, step out of that gilded cage...
Yeah, I'm pretty chuffed with you.
And see. The sky didn't fall and the world endures.
I made a couple of major errors in Macnab. I had a character walking the wrong way across George Square in Glasgow and got the order of construction of the Monastery and Abbey of Deer wrong. It was monastery first, abbey after...
The sky didn't fall.
It won't fall on you either. It will not.
Well, that was just your first baby step, so let's not look at it too forensically; but I think I can relax a bit after six months...
I'll start listening to your podcast more regularly. Now you're cruising easy, an Easter egg or two would be fun!
Love,
James
%202009.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment