Darla's From Devon?
Dear Juliet
Found this church in Bridgnorth while I was trying to find a customer!
Bits of St. Leonard's date from the 12th century, but most of it got blown up during the English Civil War because Roundhead troops used it as an ammunition store. A cannonball fired by Cavaliers scored a direct hit in 1646 and it wasn't fully restored until Victorian times.
Although St. Leonard's wasn't directly involved, it also looks like purges of Puritans in and around Bridgnorth and elsewhere (mainly East Anglia and the West Country) forced many Dissenters and Nonconformists to flee to New England between ca. 1630-1680.
So for all I know, Darla may have been a Salopian although it's far more likely she was from Suffolk or Devon...
It seems there were only four Shropshire children on board the Mayflower itself, but the reason why they were there derives from an obscure scandalous family feud involving a local squire. This Guardian article explains it in more depth than I can manage at the moment.
Just thought I'd mention it, though.
Love,
James

Comments
Post a Comment