No You're Not, Adrian

Dear Juliet

I had a thought, based on your seminar in Murray...

Pretty simple, really.

No, you're not hideously ugly.

I have looked at hundreds of images of you over the years, seen you close-up, even given you the odd hug.

You are not ugly. You have wonderful cheekbones and marvellous eyes. A great figure. Nice smile, too.

First time I saw you, you looked magnificent. Nice blue dress as well.

You still do.

Thought I'd better just say that, and write it in stone.

Mind you, I did wonder whether or not you're a bit of an introvert?

And this reminded me of Adrian in Rocky. I've been looking forward to I Play Rocky, taking a bit more interest in the making of the original film, seeing a few analogies with today and remembering Adrian occasionally reminded me of you. You called yourself a wilted flower, Talia Shire described Adrian as shy, as a broken flower. There are similarities. But no one ever said a broken flower couldn't bloom, and although it's not a perfect analogy, crossing America that first time was a bit like taking on Apollo Creed. And Adrian watched Rocky taking the punishment in the ring, knowing that was what he had to do to get his self-respect. To know, for the first time in his life, that he wasn't just another bum from the neighbourhood.

It's an old-fashioned thing, but us men don't mind going out and getting beaten up and even killed, just so long as somebody who gives a damn is watching.

Or singing on the wire.

And I crossed those miles. And you were beautiful. And that's how it was.

Love,

James





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to the Yellow Brick Road?

Buffy the Infantry Officer...

Of All the Gin Joints in All the Towns in All the World... (part one)