The Best Gal
Dear Juliet
Like Glen Campbell said, I guess you need a small vacation though it don't look like rain...
Yeah, the Point's still there. I went back but never forgot you. Dru couldn't leave Xander because the streets of Avalon still bore the prints of his stride:
"His house was still home to his scent and the streets of Avalon still bore the prints of his stride. She couldn’t leave - couldn’t leave him - while there was still the faintest trace of him there."
So it was with me. Sure, I managed. Got on my feet like it didn't matter and walked on down to the Point.
It did matter.
I remember getting off the Number Five bus. Chevron filling station ahead, Carmel Mission behind, Carmelite monastery high on the hill. And if there was a bell tolling, I didn't hear.
The road to the Point and, beyond, Avalon and L.A. was bright and clear; and the dust bore the prints of my stride.
And with every stride, I thought of you.
My dear Miss Landau.
I wouldn't have been anything without you.
I thought of you as I came round the curve of Monastery beach, every time the waves rolled in at Gibson. I looked south along California Highway One, remembering that strange violent city on the edge of forever, coming in on the bus with hope in my heart and my heart in my mouth.
"The real Candlewood Drive was close, and it wasn't far to go 'til Hollywood.
All the places I'd never seen, or thought I'd never see again. The violent, dreamlike city on the edge of forever to which I'd sent Drusilla's Roses, never expecting a reply."
All for you, Miss Landau.
The best gal.
Love,
James



Comments
Post a Comment