The Greatest Country in the World (2012)
“There is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we’re the greatest country in the world ... we lead the world in only three categories:
Number
of incarcerated citizens per capita.
Number
of adults who believe angels are real.
And
defence spending, where we spend more than the next twenty-six countries
combined.
...
The first step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one.
Enough?”
(The Newsroom,
HBO, 2012)
But it could be, but it won’t happen unless we all do
a serious reality check, and perhaps get a bit angry. So here, for my sins and my perdition, are my
observations and my prescription:
A girl in Chicago who’d worked for the Board of Trade
and blown the whistle because of all the corruption she’d seen. The bureaucrats lining their pockets and
killing their country. They’d fired her
for it and she ended up living on welfare in a tent city near
A voluntary officer helping the homeless in Las Vegas
who reminded me that the town had been in the top three US cities for
unemployment for the last three years or so. Unemployment was 18%, it was not improving and there seemed no end to
the recession. And the other 82% and the
national debt? What about reining in
their spending?
“People are petulant,” he said. "They like their perks and their toys, and
they just don’t want to give them
up.”
Kids further up
This is the first American generation who will be
worse off than their parents, and they’re angry, but they’re not mad as hell
enough to do anything about it and that’s the problem.
A guy from Lone Pine on the bus to L.A., wondering why
he bothered to pull a man out of a burning car, because the man spent the next
twenty-five years trying to sue him. Wondering what kind of country seems content to let him spend twenty to
thirty thousand dollars a year controlling his diabetes. This year, next year and every year. A guy who served in
Now maybe you who read this think I’m writing with
hatred and rancour in my soul.
Nothing could be further from the truth, and given the
bubbling soufflé of corruption in a eurozone gorging itself on mountains of
cash and a Britain with no jobs, no future for most and a similar mountain of
debt, I’m going the way of some commentators and wondering why we don’t just
look west and link up more firmly with America once more.
Perhaps I am viewing this special relationship through
rose-tinted glasses, but as the bus homed in on Los Angeles, the splendidly
ridiculous thought occurred to me that Britain and America have far more in
common than in separation, a far stronger special relationship regarding joint
intelligence and co-operation than perhaps we fully appreciate and a joint
heritage quite a bit closer than we quite comprehend.
In historical terms, the Mayflower did not depart
Thomas Jefferson himself, principal signatory of the
Declaration of Independence, even stated that:
“Believe
me, dear Sir: there is not in the British Empire a man who more cordially loves
a union with
(29th
November, 1775)
He didn’t like the British parliament.
Neither do we!
But nowhere in his statement do I see a dislike for
the British people, and I’d like to
think that holds true today.
A ninety-year-old Chinese economist recently said of
We pursue the culture of youth too avidly and ignore
the wisdoms of age too readily. This is
the clearest statement of hard common sense I have ever heard, from a man
one-third the age of
And I am just that little bit less willing to tie
myself to a squabbling group of cobbled together nation-states with wildly
different languages, cultures and attitudes than I am to hitch my wagon to a single
superpower which may or may not be in eclipse.
The
I’ve quoted Steinbeck quite some times in the last few
years, and noted he was partisan in his support for the migrant workers in The Grapes of Wrath.
I, too, am partisan in my support, and for the most
illogical of reasons, but at least I know it.
Sitting in the Greyhound terminal in
Not the last trip or trek for sure, but the last time
I’d go out as a backpacker. I’d pushed
body and soul again and come through well, but truth to tell, I’d had my day,
and seeing that mountain wall let me make my peace with times past and with
today.
It would have been not triumph but tragedy to stay
locked into the events of 2010. So like
Jody’s grandfather, never able to move beyond the trek itself, perhaps asking
himself in private if he’d really done what he said he’d done. Whether he’d stood proud and tall, or just
kidded himself, setting himself up for a fall.
No, I’d retraced my steps like a dancer chasing
shadow, and I’d not seen it pall.
And that is why I’ll look west and link up with
A sidewalk, Sunset in
A girl with dancer’s grace, moving easily on her way.
Always remembered, dear Miss Landau. I was there that day.
13th September 2012


Comments
Post a Comment