Appointment in Avalon...

Dear Juliet

I know Monsterpalooza'a next week and so, I guess, do you. So after some thought I'm just going to write a kind and thoughtful "puff-piece."

Actually, an idea...

Avalon became part of the Drusillaverse by accident and instinct. Dru was on the plane to London with Xander in Redemption, terrified of flying, so he tried to comfort her:

Her eyes were still uncertain but he looked steadily into them.

“But I worry, love,” she said. “I’m not human. I can never be human, and you might find someone else one day. Someone who can give you children and walk with you in the light.”

He knew the tears would be coming soon, but he could feel her hand warming in his as that lovely calm connection built up between them. He didn’t want to be anywhere else.

He folded down the bunk opposite and lay on it so they could see each other.

“Never,” he said firmly.  “Never.”

“Will we meet in Avalon, love?”

“Yes.”

That last line just "rolled off the typewriter", metaphorically speaking. I then decided to build more story around it and now Dru lives in Avalon. I think you've seen the house. I went out there in 2010 and found it, went back in 2024 and memorised the address.

I also had a coffee at the Brew House on the shore.

So, the idea.

Assuming you get through Monsterpalooza in one piece, go one step further than Long Beach. Go to Avalon and find the coffee house on the shore. There's a seat at the front in the corner with a good view, where I sat. Take a bit of time and get the vibe. Relax.

Life goes on.

I hope that helps.

A few pictures:










Weekend at Catalina by Martha Holmes (1946)







Arriving in 2010.














Back in 2024.














Drusilla's home.




Drusilla's church, me at the memorial.

Have a good day.

Love,

James









Drusilla's church.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffy the Infantry Officer...

Back to the Yellow Brick Road?

Of All the Gin Joints in All the Towns in All the World... (part one)