Sarah's Hill...

Dear Juliet

This quote from Leon Uris' Battle Cry just occurred to me, and I'm not quite sure why:

Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter, home from the hill...

I'm not suggesting you join the Marines, I'm thinking about Monsterpalooza. I realise I've already suggested exactly what to do and the rest, with my love, is up to you.

I could go off into endless pretentious literary analogies, build this into some fearful ordeal and make a mountain out of a molehill, but I think the truth is that it's all actually quite simple.

Always was, too.

If there is a God, I think He still loves you and wants to make it easy for you. So just have a brief word with James, hope he enjoys the Quartet and see if wackiness ensues. I have a great faith in him, and in you.

And in general, what's difficult or problematic about mentioning or discussing a fourteen year old book with your name on the cover?

Nothing, absolutely nothing!

My copyright, too. Free and clear. Like, no worries.

But I guess I'm thinking of someone I sadly neglected. Never met her, and as you know, I'm more into brunettes than blondes...

Buffy's general, Sarah Michelle Gellar.

I've always focused exclusively on you, and I always will; but the brutal dismemberment of New Sunnydale on Saturday the 14th was preceded by an even more sadistic notification on Friday the 13th, where Sarah truly got it in the neck. I did begin to suspect that she was feeling a lot worse than she let on in public, began to question AI and (arguably) learnt that she's creatively exhausted, deeply disillusioned and irrevocably weary. I understand she spent over a year working relentlessly on the project and now feels there is absolutely no way forward.

In her most private moments, I think she feels like shit.

So I think today's analogy is this: I spent a long time looking up at the sunlit city on the hill but Sarah tried to take that hill, was thoroughly repulsed and sent home, perhaps in tears.

I guess she believes there's just no way to regroup and come again, but I understand she simply has no idea I exist.

But I do, and there's always a way.

I hope James likes the lost story arc, lets her know and gives her hope.

Then, one day, the hunter can come home from the hill.

Love,

James



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buffy the Infantry Officer...

Back to the Yellow Brick Road?

Of All the Gin Joints in All the Towns in All the World... (part one)